Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Some things are going quite quickly.

In the past week or so, I was invited to join three new writer sites. With the hope of placing my name and writing before the eyes of more potential readers I not only joined but added some words and accepted all the requests to have myself become a friend of other members. I think my efforts could be rewarded, I’ve already approached two more reviewers about them reviewing Deadly Enterprise.

My editor has returned from Greece and assures me that she is right on track for the first week in June, so that DE’s June release can be met. Not sure how much time that gives me for making my changes, but I can work fast when I have to.

So now I have three more blogs to keep up, on Book Place, Alternate Realities, and a Ning site for Zumaya Publications. I’m getting behind with the two I already have. I did one on BP called Writing Plausible Anachronisms, and one on AR called The Reality around us – must think of one for ZP next. Poor old Trailowner is getting outdated, but I wanted to write something nice about the United States and . . . you thought I was going to say ‘hadn’t thought of anything yet’. Shame on you. There are many good things happening in the US, but the gloss often rubs off when I look closely. Trailowner is a rant site, so something really great needs to happen before I could post about it. Maybe some satire . . . nah – I said something nice.

Maybe something about Canada. I’m allowed to be critical there without raising too much ire. We’re used to being criticized. The most difficult decision these days is whether global warming is a good or a bad thing. Having a heat wave in Winnipeg in January could hardly count as a climate change disaster, and I doubt if the pine beetles can destroy BC’s forests any faster than all the logging companies are currently managing. The tundra is melting, which should make for interesting times in the Arctic, and the polar bears are running out of ice, but I doubt the seals will be too disappointed at that.

But I’m getting a bit peeved – when we started on our energy efficient house we had far more hours of winter sunlight than we’ve had in recent winters. The direct sunlight can keep our indoor daytime temperatures above 20°C even when it’s -20°C outside, but all these cloudy days mean I have to light the fire earlier every day – even run one all day when it’s only -10°C outside. I wind up cutting more firewood every year, and invariably run out before winter does. If climate change means having more Vancouver weather I’d sooner have the old days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home